Spotnitz's Psychoanalysis of Doggett's Love For Scully

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spotnitz's Psychoanalysis of Doggett's Love For Scully

Post by Cassie on Tue 06 Jun 2017, 15:14

QUESTION: For a while there we'd had the romantic scenario in which Follmer wanted Reyes who wanted Doggett who wanted Scully. Then the Doggett-wanting-Scully part of the equation seemed to disappear. What happened there?

FRANK SPOTNITZ: I have my own psychoanalysis of Doggett's character and to me the pining for Scully is still there. I believe that John Doggett is incapable of giving himself happiness. I think he punishes himself for the death of his son, blames himself and buries himself in his work and can never do enough to redeem himself in his own mind for his son's death and not finding the killer. To me, it makes perfect psychological sense that he would go after the woman he could never have and that he would be attracted to something that's impossible - that that's what he would allow himself to do with Scully. The woman he should be with and the woman who does understand him and supports him is Monica Reyes. The very fact that she is available to him - and he knows she has feelings for him - is what would keep him from ever responding.
Cassie
Admin

DSR Fan Since: : November 2000
Doggett Fan Since: : July 2000
RP Fan Since: : 1991
Favorite XF Movie : Fight The Future
Favorite XF Season : Season 4
Favorite XF Character : John Doggett
Favorite XF 'Ship : Doggett/Scully
Female Posts : 172

http://www.doggettscully.com/

Back to top Go down